Ocimum sanctum has known to be used for its medicinal qualities for over 1000 years and ancient Ayurvedic texts refer to tulsi as the ‘elixir of life’. The plants leaves, stems and seeds are used for relieving purposes.
It is known to relieve almost all ailments including common colds, digestive problems, breathing problems, stress, blood sugar, heart problems, fever and even ulcers. The oil from the seeds of this herb is now also being used to relieve cancer. The tulsi benefits are many and people also chew raw leaves regularly to reap these benefits.
Ocimum sanctum can be used as an:
It is also an adaptogenic herb that can help the body combat stress and enable it to function normally during traumatic periods.
â€‹Ocimum Sanctum can be used to relieve several ailments, these include:
- It helps relieves various kinds of fevers including malaria and dengue. The herbs components induce excessive sweating, thereby, bringing down the body temperature.
- Common Cold and Cough: Raw leaves are very helpful in providing relief from cold and cough. Being a very effective expectorant, it is very useful in relieving cough and sore throat.
- Kidney Stones: Apart from strengthening the functioning of the kidney, regular use of this herb can help one get rid of stones in the kidney.
- Heart Problems: This herb is very effective in reducing cholesterol levels and it thus helps maintain a healthy heart function.
- Insect Bites: Extracts from this herb can be used as a preventive as well as reliever for insect bites; they can be used as a mosquito repellent as well as to relieve bites from insects like leeches and scorpions and also snake bites.
- Mouth Ulcers: Chewing of raw basil leaves helps relieve mouth infections including ulcers. In addition this herb is extremely useful in maintaining dental hygiene; its antibacterial properties help one relieve dental problems like bad breath and pyorrhea.
- Consumption of the Ocimum Sanctum helps combat both physical as well as emotional stress as well as boost energy. The herb helps maintain the balance of the nerves.
- Skin Problems: It is used to relieve skin infections like ring worm.
- Eye Problems: Eye problems like sore eyes and night blindness can effectively be relieved with the regular use of tulsi extracts.
- Headaches: External as well as internal consumption of this herb provides relief from headaches.
- Breathing Problems: Powder from this plant leves are often used to relieve respiratory problems like asthma and bronchitis.
- Sharpen Memory: Extract from the leaves of this herb act as a tonic for the nerves and help sharpen the memory too.
- Blood Purifier: This herb is an efficient blood purifier and thus helps attain a clear and glowing skin as well as prevent several other ailments.