Terminalia Chebula is also one of herbs that is very extensively used in home remedies. Its powder is a natural laxative that is available to us. Diseases cured by Terminalia Chebula includes Excessive urination, wounds, cough, jaundice, excessive thirst, impotency, liver diseases, leucorrhea, excessive bleeding, piles (hemorrhoids), stomach ache, indigestion, mouth ulcers etc.
Uses & Benefits
- It has laxative, rejuvenative, purgative, astringent and dry properties.
- The powder of its fruit is effective in reducing swelling, hastening the healing process and cleansing the wounds and ulcers.
- The paste gives relief to the eyelids, in case of conjunctivitis.
- Gargling with Terminalia Chebula decoction helps in stomatitis, oral ulcers and sore throat.
- It serves as a good astringent for loose gums, bleeding and ulceration in gums.
- The herb is used in preparing ‘Triphala’ that is used for hair wash, brush teeth in pyorrhea and treat bleeding gums.
- Regular consumption of this powder, fried in ghee, promotes longevity and boosts energy.
- It responds well to gastrointestinal ailments, tumors, ascites, piles, enlargement of liver-spleen, worms and colitis.
- Powder, mixed with jaggery, works well in gout. When mixed with honey and ghee, is an effective remedy for anemia.
- It is combined with sunthi powder and given with hot water to lighten asthma and hiccups.
- Its decoction, when taken along with honey, is of great help in hepatitis and obesity.
- The herb improves memory and is salutary in dysuria and urinary stones.
- It helps in improving appetite and helps in digestion.
- It is a good nervine and helps in nervous weakness and nervous irritability and promotes the receiving power of the five senses.
- Since it is anti-inflammatory and astringent, it is helpful in urethral discharges like spermatorrhea and vaginal discharges like leucorrhea.